Saturday, March 15, 2014

Internship recap: Week 18-21

We're HALFWAY DONE THE INTERNSHIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last three weeks I've been at a rehabilitation hospital working in the musculoskeletal rehab unit.  This is a completely different world than the acute care setting I was working in with my last rotation - in rehab, patients are medically stable.  No one is ill, no one is on IV fluids/medications, and the patients are fully conscious, participatory in their care, and very mobile.  Most of the patients in the musculoskeletal rehab unit are there for rehab for hip fractures, hip replacements, and knee replacements, though we also have about 8 beds available for oncology patients needing rehab after cancer treatment (usually because they lost way too much weight and need to rebuild muscle mass).  I also spent 2 days a week at a different site of this hospital in spinal cord injury rehabilitation, where most patients are paraplegic or quadriplegic.  Most of these patients have spinal cord injuries from motor vehicle accidents, sports injuries, "stupid" injuries (like trying to jump off your roof for some reason), or have a condition that affects neuromuscular function such as multiple sclerosis.

The first week here was like orientation all over again.  Though this hospital is part of the network that I'm interning with, it's the most recent acquisition and hasn't quite made a full transition yet to the practices and technologies available at the other sites.  So, it took me the whole first week to figure out where to find things, how patient caseloads are managed, how chart notes are organized and written, and who to ask/where to find information.  I had a lot of bad days.  Days where I felt like I'd completely lost all the independence and competence that I thought I had from the last rotation, and felt super dumb because I didn't know how to do most things. My preceptor challenged me a lot - which is a good thing really, but I often felt dumb for not knowing the answer to questions that seemed like they should have been obvious.  But I was determined to manage this rotation, and spent most of my "free time" in that first week doing readings and practicing doing assessments and chart notes to get more familiar with the process at this hospital compared to the last rotation.

By the second week, things were much smoother.  I think my preceptor and I kind of figured each other out a bit more and learned how we worked best together, how I learn best and how she could help me get the most out of the rotation.  By mid-week I had my own caseload and was visiting patients independently to complete assessments and do follow up work.  My preceptor and I caught up once or twice a day so I could review what I'd done and make sure that my care plans were appropriate for the patient, and get her to order new diet orders or supplements I recommended (because as an intern, I can't sign for my own orders yet).  I even attended a family meeting by myself with other team members to coordinate a patient's discharge planning.  I gave the family information and offered education to help them achieve his nutritional goals (gaining/maintaining weight) while managing his other symptoms and comorbidities (low appetite, managing diabetes).  By the end of the rotation, I felt much, much more competent and independent, felt comfortable to manage my caseload and develop a care plan/follow up with patients solo, and felt that my preceptor trusted my judgement and rationale for the care plan I had chosen.

This rotation also gave me my first case study!  In this internship, we have two case studies to complete during the clinical portion of the program: one in the first half, one more complicated case in the second half.  To qualify as a patient for these case studies, we need to have been the primary dietitian working with the patient, and have seen them from admission onward (to complete an assessment for the patient ourselves, rather than having them transferred from another dietitian's care plan).  This patient was admitted early in my second week for rehabilitation following cancer treatment, where he'd unfortunately had a rough experience with severe mouth sores, nausea and vomiting, GI issues, and very large weight loss.  I followed him pretty well completely independently from his admission through to discharge, created a care plan, followed up with him regularly, collaborated with other team members to get the "bigger picture" of his care, created a discharge plan for him, and provided diet education specific to his particular needs (of which he had many because of the cancer itself, side effects of the treatment, and other medical issues he had prior to hospitalization).  I'll be delivering my case study presentation sometime later this month!

Next week I'm moving into yet another research week (read : a week to catch up on all the housework and errands I haven't had time to do in the last several months, catch up on reading for my next rotation, and - yeah, do research :/)  I'm super excited for the rotation that follows the week after though: DIABETES!!!  I'll be working in a diabetes education centre within a family health team, which is the kind of environment that I kind of see myself working in when I'm ready to work!

Updates to come :)!


No comments:

Post a Comment